What’s the best thing to happen to your grab-and-go lunch routine since sliced bread? This hefty, healthy sandwich prepped the night before. By the next day, the flavors will have mixed and mingled through the alchemy of time and pressure into something far greater than the sum of its parts – eat and run never tasted so delicious.
- 1 loaf ciabatta
- Chive cheese spread
- 2-3 sweet peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 eggplant, sliced and grilled
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise and grilled
- 1 small bunch of basil, stems removed
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm the ciabatta in the oven until crust is crisp. Set aside to cool.
- When cool, split the loaf in half lengthwise between the top and bottom.
- Open the loaf like a book and spread the top and bottom with a thin layer of chive cheese spread.
- Layer on the peppers, tomato slices, red onion, grilled eggplant and zucchini, and top with the basil leaves.
- Layer the mozzarella slices on top of everything.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Replace the top and wrap the whole loaf snugly in plastic wrap.
- Place on a sheet pan or large plate and set another pan on top. Weight the top with a couple of cans and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap, cut the loaf into quarters and serve.