Adapted from Bon Appétit Magazine
- 6 long sweet peppers, seeds removed
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 Hungarian wax pepper, sliced
- 1 green chili pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 2 ounces salami, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1-3 spicy peppers to taste, seeds removed
- Slices of ciabatta, toasted (for serving)
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Combine sweet and spicy red peppers, garlic, and ½ cup oil in a medium Dutch oven or other heavy-lidded pot; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook in oven until peppers and garlic are tender, 60–75 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Let cool, then stir in 3 tbsp. vinegar. Let marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
2. Toss Hungarian wax pepper, green chili pepper, a pinch of salt, and remaining 1 tbsp. vinegar in a medium bowl and let sit at room temperature until peppers are slightly softened, 8–10 minutes.
3. Add mozzarella, salami, fresh oregano leaves, and remaining 1 tbsp. oil to bowl and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer roasted sweet pepper mixture to a serving platter and top with salami mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Pro tip: The sweet pepper mixture can be marinated 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.