- 2 large purple eggplant or several slender varieties
- Sesame oil
- ⅓ c roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Large handful fresh cilantro, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Several sprigs fresh mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced thin (whites and an inch or 2 of the green stems)
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Extra cilantro and mint for garnish
- Cut a thin slice lengthwise from each long side of the eggplant. Cut tops and bottoms off, then cut lengthwise into ½” slices (slender varieties can just be cut in half).
- Lay the slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Set aside while you prepare salsa.
- Combine salsa ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt or vinegar as needed.
- Prepare a grill pan over high heat. Pat eggplant dry with paper towels and brush with sesame oil.
- Grill over medium high heat until slices begin to soften and appear marked by the grill. Remove to a serving platter as they finish cooking.
- Top with salsa and serve with warm, fluffy rice.