- 1 cup finely grated Gruyère or comté cheese
- ½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 pounds potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick on a mandoline slicer
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss cheeses together in a large bowl. Remove ½ c. cheese mixture and set aside.
- Add cream, garlic, and salt and pepper to cheese and combine thoroughly.
- Add potato slices to cream mixture and toss well to make sure all potato slices are coated in cream.
- Butter a gratin or casserole dish. Place potatoes standing on their edges in tight concentric circles in a casserole dish.
- Pour excess cream and cheese mixture over potatoes – liquid should come about halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Continue baking for another 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
9. Allow potatoes to rest for 5 minutes and serve.