- 4 slices bacon, cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 lbs bone-in short ribs, at least 1 1/2 inches thick
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 2 cup beef stock or bone broth
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 large heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat and fry bacon until just crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels and set aside. Leave bacon drippings in pot.
3. Generously season ribs with salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour.
4. Add olive oil to bacon drippings and heat over medium high heat until shimmering. In batches, brown ribs on all sides until deep brown, removing to a plate as done and set aside
5. Saute onion, celery, and carrots until vegetables soften. Add tomato paste and continue cooking until paste darkens. Add wine and beef stock and whisk until tomato paste is dissolved.
6. Add ribs back to pot along with bacon, thyme sprigs and garlic halves. Bring pot to a simmer, cover and transfer to oven. Cook until ribs are completely tender and falling off the bone, about 3 ½ – 4 hours.
7. Before serving, stir in parsley, chives, and lemon zest. Serve with hot polenta or buttery mashed potatoes.