- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup honey
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Pinch salt
- 6 medium apples, washed and chilled
- 6 wooden skewers or popsicle sticks
- Additional toppings – chopped toasted nuts, granola, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, etc
1. In a large saucepan, combine whipping cream, vanilla bean seeds, and a pinch of salt, and honey over medium heat. Bring to a high simmer; reduce heat and simmer until thermometer reads 260°, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; allow to thicken 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, insert a wooden pop stick into the core of each apple. Dip apples in caramel mixture, rolling to coat evenly. If desired, roll in additional toppings. Place on waxed paper; refrigerate or store in a cool location until caramel is set, about 30 minutes.