Adapted from Deborah Madison
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tbs butter or olive oil
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thin slices
- 2 quarts water
- ½ head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 baguette, cut into ½” slices
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
- ⅓ c toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 oz blue cheese
1. Warm the butter or olive oil in a medium soup pot and saute onions until soft and beginning to turn golden.
2. Add potatoes and water and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
3. Add cabbage and cook until completely tender. Taste and correct seasoning. Keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, combine softened butter, blue cheese and walnuts in a small bowl, mashing with a fork until thoroughly combined.
7. Ladle soup into bowls and top with blue cheese toasts. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.