No-Heat Succotash Salad
Michael Pollan tells us that cooking made us human, but Michael Pollan doesn’t live in Central Texas. Around this time of year, turning on the stove, firing up the oven, or lighting the grill can feel like an act of insanity – certainly not very civilized. When summer is upon us, best to press a glass of something cool to our temples and think of what we can have for dinner that doesn’t involve heat. Here we present a thoroughly heat-free, hearty, main-dish salad, filled with garden goodness and “cooked” with just a bit of lime. Stay cool, my friends. Stay civilized.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 heirloom slicing tomato, cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 ear corn, shucked and kernels shaved off
- 1/2 small red onion, julienned
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 c olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c okra, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch basil, leaves coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini, corn kernels, and red onion. Drizzle in lime juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and set aside for 10-15 minutes. When you’re ready to eat, toss in okra and basil, toss again, and serve.