Fire up the grill for a simple appetizer that makes the most of ripe, fragrant summer fruit, smoky bacon, and tangy blue cheese. Hot honey is our newest obsession – try it and fall in love with the sweet and zingy savory kick it brings to pizzas, cheddar biscuits, and pretty much anything you’ve got coming off the grill.
- 4 medium-ripe but still-firm peaches, pitted and cut into quarters
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 6 oz. River Whey blue cheese, cut into 16 small cubes
- 1/4 c honey
- 2 tsp (or more to taste) red pepper flakes
1. Make hot honey: place pepper flakes and honey in a small skillet and heat to a simmer. Steep for 30 minutes, then strain pepper flakes out. Reserve honey.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon slices until fat renders out and bacon is about halfway cooked. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
3. Prepare a charcoal or propane grill to high heat.
4. While grill is heating, one at a time place cheese cubes on the pit side of each peach quarter and wrap with bacon slice. Secure bacon with toothpicks.
5. Grill peaches over direct heat, moving frequently so bacon doesn’t burn. Remove to serving platter and drizzle with hot honey.