Cucumber Salad with Almond Picada, Feta & Honey
When it comes to growing food, you’d be amazed to learn about the innovative farming tactics that can minimize soil (think aquaponics) and sunlight (think grow lights and greenhouse technologies). The one essential, though, is water, and it’s in short supply. No one understands this better than a farmer, and it’s perhaps one of the biggest reasons to support those who are growing food sustainably. The farmers we work with aren’t just growing food – they’re working tirelessly to preserve our most precious resources, including topsoil and water. They select crop varieties suited for our climate, they harvest rainwater, they use irrigation techniques that conserve rather than waste our resources. And not because they receive grants or subsidies or tax incentives to do so. They do it because they have children, and it’s our responsibility. Farmers working small family farms have every intention of handing their land over to the next generation – in better shape than it was when they got it. That happens by enriching the soil, conserving resources and putting in more than you take out. It’s not so much about making a living but being part of something bigger than this generation; we feel like that’s something to celebrate and to reward with an investment of our dollars. When you make dinner – and we think a big platter of carefully-tended Mediterranean cucumbers, tossed with a citrus vinaigrette and the sweetness of honey is a great idea – thank a farmer for the food on your plate and for looking out for your great-great-great grandchildren.
Total Time:15 minutes
- 2 medium cucumbers, cut in 1″ chunks
- 1 small shallot, sliced thin
- 1/4 c roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 T olive oil
- 4 T coarsely chopped parsley
- 4 T coarsely chopped mint
- 2-4 oz feta cheese, grated or crumbled
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 T honey
- Place cucumbers in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine shallots, almonds, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, and mint.
- Stir to combine, then toss with cucumbers. Add feta and toss gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on serving platter, drizzle with honey and serve.