- 2 pounds okra, washed and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup masa harina or finely ground cornmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne, optional
- 2 cup neutral oil, for frying
- Make the sauce: whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and refrigerate.
- Place the okra and buttermilk together in a large bowl and toss well to coat.
- Place masa harina on a baking sheet with sides, season to taste with salt and pepper and cayenne and combine well.
- Heat 2” oil in a large skillet with high sides until a pinch of masa harina sizzles when dropped in.
- Dredge the okra in masa harina and fry in batches until crispy. Drain on newspaper or paper towels and serve hot with dipping sauce.