- 2 T. paprika
- 2 T. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- One whole chicken, about 4 pounds, cut into 10 pieces, or choose your favorite cuts
- 1 1⁄2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 c. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 c. vegetable shortening or peanut oil
1. Make spice blend: combine paprika, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne in a small bowl and stir to blend.
2. Whisk buttermilk, egg, 2 T. spice blend, and 1 T. salt together in a bowl. Place chicken pieces in a gallon size zip top bag and pour buttermilk mixture in the bag. Seal the bag securely and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight. When you think about it, turn the bag to distribute buttermilk over chicken pieces.
3. When you are ready to fry, place flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 2 tsp. Salt and remaining spice blend in a wide, shallow bowl.
4. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, making sure each piece is thickly coated.
6. Heat oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven to 425. Place chicken carefully in hot oil and fry for 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. Remove chicken to a rack set over a baking sheet.
7. When all the chicken is fried, bake at 350 for about 5-10 minutes until cooked through.
8. Serve hot or at room temperature.