Make the most of what Mother Earth delivers with this root-to-leaf recipe – it’s bright and punchy and versatile, just right for Spring nights.
Makes about 1 cup; Time to prepare: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup pecans, toasted
- 1 bunch carrot tops
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Water (to adjust texture to taste)
- Trim away the thicker, woody ends of the carrot top stems. Wash, rinse and thoroughly dry remaining tender stems and leaves.
- Add pecans, carrot tops, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor.
3. Pulse together until the carrot tops are finely chopped.
4. With the motor running, add oil in a stream and blend until smooth.
5. The pesto can be prepared up to 1 week ahead of time. Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled. Before serving, bring the pesto to room temperature, then stir in a few tablespoons of hot water to adjust texture to desired consistency.
Spread on toasted bread with chevre, toss with roasted vegetables, or serve with baked chicken, pork, or fish.