Without a Recipe: Beets
Sweet and hearty beets are a Farmhouse favorite. Earthy richness and a silky texture are hallmarks of the root, while the hearty, robust greens (yep, you can eat those, too!) are an added bonus. Roast, steam, or enjoy raw for a hit of color and earthy flavor.
- Grilled beets are delicious hot or at room temperature. Slice beets lengthwise, drizzle with oil and salt and pepper, and place over medium high heat on the grill for approximately 8 minutes, or until tender and grill-marked. Serve alongside burrata topped with a mix of chopped beet greens & fresh herbs. Drizzle with olive oil for the perfect appetizer at your backyard dinner party!
- Make a beet pesto. Roast beets, remove skin and add to a food processor along with parmesan, walnuts, lemon, and garlic. While the food processor runs, add olive oil until consistency is creamy. Great for dipping, as a sandwich spread, or to substitute marinara on homemade goat cheese pizza.
- Make a colorful composed salad: peel and thinly slice carrots, beets, and radish. Place in a bowl with fresh-squeezed citrus (grapefruit and lemon are delish). Toss with hazelnuts and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt, & pepper.
- Make a crispy greens and beet salad: brush kale & beet greens with oil and bake at 250 degrees until crispy. Remove from oven and toss with roasted beets, lemon juice, and olive oil. Sprinkle with Rocco + Lola’s almond breading for added crunch.
- Bake crispy sweet potato and beet chips to add amp up your snacking. Thinly slice beets and sweet potatoes with a mandolin, toss with olive oil and salt, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip, bake for 6 more minutes, and remove when crisp. Dip with guacamole, hummus, or a creamy tzatziki.
- To roast beets: preheat oven to 350. Trim and scrub beets and wrap individually in foil. Roast on a baking sheet for 30-45 minutes until just barely tender. Unwrap, cool, and slip off skins.
- We love a roasted beet salad with fresh mozzarella and avocado. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Puree beets in food processor with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, a clove of garlic and a splash of olive oil. Spread on whole grain toast for a light lunch or appetizer.
- Peel and grate uncooked beets and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped parsley, toasted walnuts, salt, and pepper for a super food salad.
- Toss slices of roasted beets with tender salad greens and goat cheese, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- A beet pasta is as beautiful as it is delicious. Toss cubed roasted beets and crumbled gorgonzola with spaghetti cooked al dente.
- Top small circles of puff pastry with sliced roasted beets and sprinkle with crumbled feta. Bake at 425 for scrumptious beet tarts.