The grayer the weather, the more we eat with our eyes. On days like this, color is a stand-in for sunshine, reminding us that the world will one day again be bright and cheerful. Inspired by this week’s sweet and crisp heirloom green radishes, we threw together a salad that celebrates green in all its shades: the dark evergreen and pale celadon of cucumbers, the dusky drab of nutty pistachios, the emerald of parsley and mint, and the kelly green of spring onions, all setting off the lime-bright radishes. A little salty cheese, a squeeze of citrus and a drizzle of grassy olive oil round everything out. A big bowl of this is not quite the same as emerald-colored glasses, but until we reach the promised land of real spring weather, it sure helps.
Total Time:15 minutes
- 1-2 green radishes (sub any sort of radishes if necessary–you’ll have the same great flavor, just sacrificing the pretty green color), peeled and diced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled in strips, seeded, and diced
- 4 oz. feta cheese, diced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/2 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice if 1 lemon
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- Place radishes, cucumber, feta cheese, green onions, parsley, mint, and pistachios in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Toss again until thoroughly combined and serve immediately. Any leftovers are delicious in a wrap with grilled chicken or tofu.