You know summer’s here when zucchini panic sets in. Instead of sweating it, we prefer to get creative and work it into every meal we can. Here, it’s the star of dessert, playing off fruity olive oil, warm spices and toasty nuts. We can’t guarantee there will be any left, but it does get even better the next day.
- 1 c walnuts, toasted
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 1 c olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 c grated zucchini
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 10 cup bundt pan and tap out any excess.
2. Pulse the nuts in a food processor until finely chopped.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, 1 3/4 cup sugar, and olive oil for 3 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Stop and scrape down the sides of the mixer, then add the vanilla.
5. Mix in the dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the mixer bowl to make sure everything is mixed in well, then beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
6. Stir in the chopped nuts and zucchini.
7. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top, then bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan. Do not under-bake the cake.
8. During the last few minutes of the cake baking, make the glaze by whisking together the lemon juice, 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar, and powdered sugar.
9. Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes, then carefully invert it onto a cooling rack. Brush the glaze over the cake with a pastry brush and let the cake cool completely.