For fritter mixture
- 4 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- About 2 cups safflower oil
- About 2 cups olive oil
Make zucchini batter:
Stir together zucchini and salt, then drain in a colander set over a bowl, 1 hour.
Stir together zucchini and remaining fritter ingredients. Season well with freshly ground black pepper. Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
Heat enough of frying oils to measure 3/4 inch in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 350°F.
Spoon heaping tablespoons of fritter mixture into oils and fry in small batches without crowding, turning fritters, until golden brown, about 1 minute.
Transfer fritters with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and return oil to 350°F between batches. Serve hot.