- 1 pound new potatoes, peeled and steamed or boiled until fork tender
- 2 poblano peppers, charred, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz. espanola or manchego cheese, grated
- ¼ c cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 stone ground corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- To serve: salsa, cilantro, diced avocado, mince red onion, additional grated cheese
- In a bowl, lightly mash the potatoes with a fork until chunky. Stir in peppers, cheese, and cilantro, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set filling aside.
2. Heat a thin slick of oil in a large skillet with high sides. When shimmering, quickly fry tortillas just until they soften and become pliable.
3. Fill each tortilla with 2 Tbs potato filling and roll up like cigars – they should not be over-filled. Secure with toothpicks for frying.
4. Heat 2-3” oil in skillet over medium high heat and fry flautas until crisp. Avoid crowding the skillet. Hold cooked flautas in a warm oven while you finish frying.
5. Remove toothpicks and serve with suggested toppings alongside rice and beans.