Creamy Carrot Alfredo
- In a medium saucepan, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add anchovy filets and red pepper flakes. Sizzle for 1-2 minutes, breaking up anchovy filets with a wooden spoon. Add cheese rind, carrots, and stock to the sauce pan, season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 10-12 minutes until carrots are tender and stock has reduced. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Remove cheese rind and discard.
- Place carrots and cooking liquid in a blender and add cream, then carefully blend until sauce is velvety smooth (add a little pasta cooking water if sauce is too thick). Toss sauce with hot fettuccine, sprinkle with a pinch of chile flakes and serve. You can pass grated parmesan to serve on top, but there’s so much cheesy flavor in this dish, you don’t really need it.
- 1 bunch small carrots, peeled, some stem left intact
- 1 avocado
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- baby greens, arugula, and/or mixed interesting salad greens, washed and torn if large
- a few sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbs. Mexican crema
- Preheat oven to 425. Place mixed seeds in small skillet and toast over medium to low heat. Set aside to cool.
- Cut carrots lengthwise and place in a large bowl.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic, thyme, lemon and orange. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Toss well to coat, place on heavy, oven-proof pan, and roast at until carrots begin to caramelize, but are still crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Squeeze lemon and orange juice into a bowl along with all pan juices. Slowly drizzle in remaining olive oil and whisk constantly until emulsified.
- Slice avocado and squeeze lemon juice on top to prevent browning.
- Return carrots to bowl, along with salad greens and red onion, and toss with dressing.
- Place on serving platter or individual plates, arrange several pieces of avocado amongst carrots and greens, drizzle with crema and sprinkle with seeds.
Double Carrot Deep Dish Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 400.
2. Peel thin, wide strips from 1-2 of the carrots using a vegetable peeler and place in a bowl of ice water (this will crisp them up and make them curl). Set aside.
3. Cut 3-4 carrots lengthwise, then across into ½” pieces. Place them in a pan, drizzle with oil, add minced garlic, and season with a pinch of salt. Toss to coat carrots evenly and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Raise oven temperature to 450.
5. Stretch the pizza dough to cover the bottom of an 8” or 9” square or round pan. Scatter the roasted carrots and some of their oil over the dough, reserving any additional oil left in the pan.
6. Place dollops of ricotta on top and scatter the mozzarella over the top.
7. Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted and beginning to brown in spots.
8. When the flatbread is almost ready, drain and dry the carrot strips. Place in a bowl with the sliced shallots and about half the herbs, squeeze the lemon half over them, and season with a pinch of salt. Toss everything together and pile on top of the flatbread just before serving. Top with remaining herbs and serve.