- 1 stick butter
- ¼ c brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4 oz bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 2” pieces
- 8 oz loose leaf spinach
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until butter turns a deep caramel brown and smells nutty. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small skillet, fry bacon until fat renders but before bacon gets too crisp.
- Preheat oven to 425. Place sweet potatoes in a roasting dish. Add brown butter, brown sugar, bacon and bacon drippings and toss thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and toss again.
- Roast sweet potatoes until browned and crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately add spinach. Toss hot potatoes with spinach to wilt and cook the spinach. Serve on a large platter.
HOT TIP: The sweet potatoes can be roasted ahead of time, then held at room temperature for several hours. When ready to serve, reheat in a hot oven, then toss with spinach and serve.