Adapted from Beyond Kimchee’s Pumpkin Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 3/4 cup whole milk (recommended), scalded
- 6 Tbsp of butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 envelopes (about 4 1/2 tsp) of active dry yeast
- 1 tsp of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 cups + a little extra all-purpose flour
- 10 pecan halves (note: can substitute pretzel sticks in a pinch)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Pour scalded milk into a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, & stir to melt. Add brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin puree, & salt to the milk & butter mixture – mix well.
- Combine lukewarm water, yeast, & 1 tsp of sugar in a small bowl. Allow the yeast to proof for 5 minutes. Once the yeast mixture becomes foamy, add it to the pumpkin mixture. Add egg and then mix. Gradually add flour & mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Use an electric mixer with a dough hook attached to beat the mixture on a low-speed setting until the dough begins to pull from the side of the bowl (~5 min). If the dough seems too wet, add a little more flour.
- Dust a wooden board with a bit of flour & then place the dough on the board. Knead by hand for one minute, Form the dough into a large ball shape, place into a greased bowl, & cover it with a cloth. Let dough rise until it doubles in volume (~1 hour).
- Give the dough a punch to deflate. Knead the dough for a few seconds then divide the dough into half and cut each half into 15 pieces for a total of 30 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a small ball shape using your hand. Gently flatten the pieces with the palm of the hand. Then, using a knife, give 8 cuts around the edge of the dough piece but leave the center uncut. Repeat with all dough pieces.
- Poke the center of the dough pieces with your finger, leaving a deep indentation. Then, place the dough pieces, 2 inches apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let them rise for ~45 minutes or until the dough pieces double in volume.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Poke the center of the rolls again if you can no longer see the indentation. Brush with egg wash, then bake for 9-12 minutes or until the tops become golden.
- Take the rolls out of the oven and brush with melted butter immediately. Insert the pecan slices to the tops of the rolls to mimic a pumpkin stem.