- 1 pkg hot dogs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Toothpicks or skewers (optional)
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp honey
1. Make honey mustard: in a small bowl, stir together mustard and honey and set aside.
2. Place flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. In a large measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
4. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut each hot dog into 3 pieces. If using, skewer the toothpicks half way into the dogs.
5. Heat oil in a large pot until a pinch of cornmeal sizzles when dropped in.
6. Dredge the dogs in the batter, making sure each is thoroughly coated. Drop into hot oil and cook until browned and crisp, turning as needed to fry evenly. Drain on paper towels as they’re done and serve right away with honey mustard dipping sauce.