Without a Recipe: Berries
Summer’s all about a windfall of berries: black, blue and dew. If you can keep yourself from devouring them by the handful, here are some great ways to enjoy the harvest.
- Stir fresh or frozen berries into your favorite whole grain pancake, waffle, or muffin recipe.
- Berries sweeten up your morning smoothie – keep a bag frozen to toss in the blender.
- We love starting the day off with an anti-oxidant rich berry parfait – just layer plain or vanilla yogurt with fresh berries and granola.
- Simmer berries with sugar for a quick refrigerator jam – use about 1 cup sugar for each pint of berries, bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge to enjoy with toast or as a dessert sauce with ice cream.
- Toss berries with a little flour and sugar and fold into 4″ pie crust rounds. Brush with egg wash and bake at 375 until brown.
- Crush berries with a fork and a little sugar and use to top almond butter toast.