- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large sweet potatoes, or several small ones, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 lb. kale, washed, dried, and chopped into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. minced green onion
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
–Preheat the oven to 350°F
–Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft but not brown. Add the sweet potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the kale and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or so until both sweet potatoes and kale are tender.
–In a medium bowl, mix the bison, egg, green onion, parsley, and cheese. Form into 1-inch (2.5-cm) balls. Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the meatballs in a single layer. Add the meatballs. Bake for 10 minutes.
–Add the meatballs to the soup and simmer, partially covered, for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with additional cheese.