For lemon oil
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil (I like grapeseed)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (from 2 lemons, grated with a rasplike Microplane zester)
For carrot orange sauce
- 1 c. fresh carrot juice
- 1 c. fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass (lower 6 inches only), thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 fresh Thai red chiles, minced, including seeds
- 2 lb large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb), peeled and deveined
- 2 carrots, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 2 oranges
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup 1-inch pieces fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Make lemon oil:
Cook oil, turmeric, and zest in a 1- to 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and chill at least 1 hour. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into another small bowl (discard solids).
Combine sauce ingredients in a 4- to 6-quart pot and boil, stirring occasionally, until reduced, 20 to 30 minutes. Pour through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl (discard solids), then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water to chill sauce.
Cook shrimp in cleaned 4- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to another bowl of ice and cold water to cool. Drain and halve lengthwise, then chill, covered.
Heat 4 tablespoons lemon oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté carrots, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Spread carrots with oil from skillet on a plate and chill.
Grate zest from oranges into a large bowl. Cut remaining rind and white pith from oranges with a sharp paring knife and discard. Cut orange segments free from membranes and add to zest.
Stir carrots into orange mixture along with radish, onion, lime juice, remaining lemon oil, chives, mint, and salt.
Mound salad on 8 plates and top with shrimp. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons carrot sauce around each mound.