By Elizabeth Winslow
Red Curry Bison Short Ribs with Lime & Coconut
This recipe goes out to the “I don’t have time to cook” folks. With a bare minimum of ingredients and exactly zilch to chop, it nevertheless delivers depth, complexity, warmth, and an exotic, stick-to-your ribs promise of a warm and cozy night at home. Even better, it was made for either the slow cooker or the pressure cooker, so pick your method and forget it until dinnertime.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 3-4 pounds bison short ribs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs peanut oil
- 2-3 Tbs red curry paste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbs Asian fish sauce (optional)
- pinch sugar (optional)
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Season short ribs to taste with salt and pepper. Heat peanut oil in large skillet with high sides and brown ribs in batches, removing to a plate as they are done.
- When all ribs are browned, add curry paste to skillet and heat until fragrant (add a little more oil if pan is dry). Add coconut milk and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Place ribs in slow cooker or pressure cooker and add coconut milk mixture. Cook on low for 8 hours in a slow cooker or on high pressure for 45 minutes in pressure cooker.
- Add lime juice, fish sauce and pinch of sugar to sauce and stir will. Serve with hot rice, garnished with cilantro.