Recipe and Photo by Haley Bahm of Soul + Spoon
This recipe is our sweet farewell to Summer and a cozy hello to Fall’s more-than-welcomed cooler temperatures. Minimal effort and maximum richness makes this a breezy weeknight meal the whole family can enjoy.
- 3 cups fish or vegetable broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 3 medium red, Yukon Gold, or sweet potatoes, chopped into 3/4″ chunks
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silks discarded, kernels removed
- 1 cup baby kale or baby spinach, if desired
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbs white all-purpose or all-purpose gluten-free flour
Heat oil in a large pot and add the minced shallot and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes, until shallots are fragrant and zucchini begins to soften. Add broth, corn, and potatoes. Bring broth to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork. Add coconut milk, tomato, salt, and pepper. Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat, add the flour, and whisk until well combined. Finally, add in your kale or spinach, stir to incorporate, and then cover and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to thicken before serving. Enjoy with a slice of crusty bread for dipping.