Recipe and Photo by Haley Bahm of Soul + Spoon
Late Summer Veggie Chowder
This recipe is our sweet farewell to Summer and a cozy hello to Fall’s more-than-welcomed cooler temperatures. Minimal effort and maximum richness make this a breezy weeknight meal the whole family can enjoy.
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 cups fish or vegetable broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 3 medium red, Yukon Gold, or sweet potatoes, chopped into 3/4″ chunks
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silks discarded, kernels removed
- 1 cup baby kale or baby spinach, if desired
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbs white all-purpose or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the minced shallot and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes, until shallots are fragrant and zucchini begins to soften.
- Add broth, corn, and potatoes. Bring broth to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- Add coconut milk, tomato, salt, and pepper. Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat, add the flour, and whisk until well combined.
- Finally, add in your kale or spinach, stir to incorporate, and then cover and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to thicken before serving. Enjoy with a slice of crusty bread for dipping.