- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2-inch-long) fresh serrano or jalapeño chile, minced, including seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 seedless cucumber (often plastic-wrapped), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored, then sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 medium tomatoes (1 lb total), cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
Mince garlic, then mash to a paste with salt using side of a large heavy knife.
Whisk together lime juice and sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved, then whisk in oil, garlic paste, chile, and fish sauce (to taste). Add remaining ingredients, tossing to coat, and add salt to taste.