Chocolate Strawberry Linzer Heart Cookies
What we sometimes forget is that Valentine’s Day isn’t about heart-shaped balloons, long-stemmed roses, or restaurant reservations. It’s not about dolled-up dates or gaudy declarations of affection. It’s a day to celebrate love. A day when we have an excuse to do something special for our favorite person or even something extra-special for ourselves. So whether you celebrate with your significant other, your mom, or your best friend, just keep in mind that it’s all about the love. And if that’s not something worth celebrating, I don’t know what is.
Adapted from Ina Garten’s Mini Linzer Cookies Recipe
Makes: 2 dozen
Total Time: 1 hr 25 minutes
- 3 sticks (or 3/4 lb) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 oz Confituras Chocolate Strawberry Jam
- powdered sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until just combined. Add vanilla. Sift flour into a separate bowl. Add salt, then add the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Place dough on a floured surface and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic, chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4″ thickness and cut cookies with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. With half of the cookies, cut a hole from the middle of each. Place all the cookies on a non-greased baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until edges start turning golden brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Spread Confituras’ Chocolate Strawberry Jam on the flat side of each cookie without a hole. Sift powdered sugar over the top of the cookies with holes. Place holed cookie over the jam-spread cookie (so jam is sandwiched between the two cookies). Enjoy!