Don’t you love a short week? Us too, and we’re not about to complicate things with a long, drawn-out idea for dinner. Arroz con Pollo is a back-pocket fave – almost shamefully simple, but dinner party delicious and a big hit with everyone at the table. The salsa provides your sofrito without you having to chop a single thing, and the rice absorbs all those summery flavors as the grains plump up in a rich golden stock while you are off doing something else entirely. Serve with bowls of garnishes set out for people to dress it up exactly the way they like it.
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups mild red salsa or green salsa
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, avocado, diced onion, chopped tomato, cheese, lime wedges
- Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large lidded pot, brown chicken tenders in olive oil, then remove to a plate.
- Add a little more olive oil and stir fry rice for a minute or two. Add salsa and continue cooking until it’s bubbling.
- Pour in stock, bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Fluff with a fork, add chicken tenders, and cover the pot. Let sit for 5 minutes to warm the chicken. Remove the lid and serve with garnishes, beans, and a green salad.
Recipe by Elizabeth Winslow, Photography by Casey Woods