Indian Spiced Grilled Okra with Buttermilk Herb Dipping Sauce
As the hot summer sun begins to sink into the horizon, we’re left with a few precious hours of milder temperatures and enough remaining light to enjoy a gathering of close friends and family around the backyard grill. Those moments – when cooling temperatures and remaining daylight reach the perfect balance – inspire us in what we serve at the dinner table: something with just a little heat, a touch of brightness, and lots of inspiration in re-imagining long-time favorites to create something new.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 quart fresh okra, washed well & dried
- generous pinch salt
- 1 Tbs. mild or hot curry powder (adjust to taste)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves
- Place okra in a large bowl and toss well with salt, curry powder, and olive oil, making sure pods are thoroughly coated with spices and oil.
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal or gas fire or heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill okra pods until tender and slightly charred. Place on serving platter, scatter cilantro leaves on top and serve with Buttermilk herb dipping sauce.
Buttermilk Herb Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbs each chopped cilantro, chives, basil
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one day.