Nothing says summer to us like a visit to Fruteria Los Amigos in San Antonio. When the temperature’s in the triple digits, a fruit cup, licuado, or freshly squeezed juice cools us from the inside out and gives us hope to live another day. We’re taking inspiration from their way with the salty-sweet-spicy flavor profile in this salad – try it for breakfast, and ride a cool wave all day!
- 1 personal watermelon or ¼ full size watermelon, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cantaloupe, peeled, seeded & cut into large chunks
- 1 cucumber, scrubbed and cut into large chunks
- 1 bunch mint, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ c cotija or feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ c roasted, salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Chile powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Place melon and cucumber in a large bowl, squeeze juice of 1 lime over and toss to combine.
- Tumble the melon and cucumber onto a serving platter, then scatter with mint, cotija, and peanuts.
- Sprinkle with chile powder and salt, squeeze the other lime over everything, and serve.