- 1 cup purple jasmine rice (substitute regular jasmine rice if desired)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 pound cucumbers quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Bring rice, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Spread rice evenly in a lightly oiled 4-sided sheet pan and cool completely. Coarsely smash coriander seeds with side of a large knife.
Toss rice with coriander, remaining ingredients, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.