Winter Squash & Risotto Soup with Cheddar Poblano Sausage
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 small pumpkin or 1 large acorn squash
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups cooked risotto (just about any flavor works)
- 1/4-1/2 cup cheddar poblano sausage, cooked and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 Tbs. cream
- 1 bunch arugula, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut top off pumpkin and reserve. If using acorn squash, also slice 1/2 inch off the bottom, creating a flat bottom so the squash to stand upright. Scoop out seeds and filaments, leaving flesh in place. Rub pumpkin or squash inside and out with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the next four ingredients to the pumpkin/squash cavity along and check for seasoning. Replace pumpkin lid, place in small casserole dish and bake uncovered until cooked.
- Remove from oven, add arugula, stir to mix, and let sit for 2-3 minutes to wilt the greens. To serve, place in a large bowl, and ladle out soup, along with scoops of cooked pumpkin.