Recipe & Photography by Haley Bahm of Soul + Spoon
This salad is the epitome of everything a summer meal should be–bursting with a mix of smoky flavor from the grilled squash and romaine, and bright mouthfuls of sunshine from the blueberries, basil, and lime. It’s light enough to keep you from feeling weighed down but filling enough to ward off post-dinner snack time. It’s easy to assemble and done in under 30 minutes…so what are you waiting for?? Fire up that grill!
For the salad:
(Serves 4 as a side)
- 3 summer squash, mandolined or thinly sliced
- 3 small heads romaine lettuce, halved
- 2 tbs olive oil, for brushing
- 1 cup blueberries
- 12 slices nitrate-free prosciutto, torn
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Heat your grill to 350F or medium-high heat. Brush the squash slices and romaine with olive oil and place them perpendicular to the grill grates, grilling on each side for 4-6 minutes or until well marked. Remove from grill and let cool. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl, waiting to toss with the vinaigrette until just before serving.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Shake all ingredients together in a jar with a lid. Let sit for 10 minutes to let flavors meld and marinate before tossing with salad to serve. Save any leftovers as a topping for meats, salads, or roasted vegetables throughout the week!