Grilled Carrots and Green Garlic with Coriander
Simplicity is often underestimated as a culinary technique, which is surprising when we step back to look at some of our most memorable meals. Of course, a savory soufflé or slow-roasted porchetta delights and awes at the dinner table. But when we look back on meals that brought us the most satisfaction, it’s usually those that deliver flavors to us succinctly, finding grace and style in freshness and ease instead of grandeur — proving to us that as long as we have fresh, quality ingredients, we’ll always eat happy.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch carrots, scrubbed
- 1 bunch green onions or green garlic, roots and dark green fibrous bits trimmed off
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbs coriander seeds, divided
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Toast coriander seeds in a small dry skillet until fragrant.
- Toss carrots and green garlic/onion stalks with olive oil, salt and pepper and half of coriander seeds.
- Grill until charred and tender.
- Combine remaining coriander seeds with lemon and drizzle in olive oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Place grilled carrots and green garlic or green onions on platter and drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with cilantro and pistachios.