On days when you can use a little extra comfort, here’s a dinner that’s the culinary equivalent of a big hug. Golden and rich with coconut milk, brightened up with loads of fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon, in 30 minutes you can cure anything that ails you. Serve with warm rice or crusty bread.
- 3 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 c yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2” piece fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ c thinly sliced scallions
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- (2) 15 oz. cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped parsley, cilantro, mint and scallions for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and saute until just beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, red pepper flakes, and turmeric and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add the coconut mlk, cauliflower, parsley, and chickpeas, bring to a simmer and turn the heat to medium low. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer until the cauliflower is just barely tender. Add the lemon juice, ladle into bowls, top with herbs, and serve with rice or warm bread.