It might sound crazy, but you need to be smashing your cucumbers. Serious Eats proclaims that smashing cucumbers for salads and side dishes has been a popular preparation of the vegetable in Asia for years, and it’s time we caught on. Dressings will nestle themselves into the torn cucumber surfaces, creating a more impactful flavor profile. Pairing fresh, crunchy cucumber with peak-of-season apple is the perfect way to marry fruit and veg; add grains for extra protein to make a complete lunch.
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon local Texas honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber (Armenian or English will work)
- 2 golden supreme apples, cored and chopped in any preferred shape
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or other preferred grain)
- In a small jar, whisk together honey, vinegar, salt, and pepper. While whisking continuously, drizzle in olive oil slowly until completely emulsified.
- Using the bottom end of a sturdy glass, forcefully smash the cucumber into rough pieces, tearing larger chunks.
- In a large bowl toss apple in lemon juice. Add cucumbers (discard any loose pulp and seeds) and toss with the desired amount of dressing and quinoa. Keep chilled in an airtight container up to 3 days.